EPA Method 6 - Sulfur Dioxide Emissions
- Non-Isokinetic Constant Rate Sampling
- Titrimetric Analysis
- Charge first collection impingers with 15 mL 80% Isopropanol;
- Charge next two collection impingers (2 & 3) with 15 mL 3% H2O2 each;
- Fourth impinger should remain empty;
- Charge fifth impinger with silica gel.
- Separation of Analytes:
- Acid mist and/or sulfur trioxide (SO3) are soluble and collected in the Isopropanol (IPA) solution;
- Sulfur Dioxide is insoluble in the IPA solution. It will pass through this impinger and be collected in thehydrogen peroxide absorbing solution.
- If water droplets are expected, large impingers along with EPA Method 8 should be used.
- If high moisture content is expected, an optional pre-impinger can be inserted prior to the first two. This impinger should be charged with 15 mL of the 0.1 N H2O2 absorbing solution.
- Please provide high volume blanks when low concentrations are expected such as in the Acid mist and/or sulfur trioxide (SO3) fraction.
- The isopropanol fraction may be a hazardous good (flammable) for shipping purposes. Please call for IATA codes if you need them.
- Samples may be shipped at ambient temperatures.
- Be sure to include a chain of custody for each shipping container.
- Emissions measurements of sulfur dioxide
- We've even used this method on suflur burners (upwards of 8% SO2 in the gas stream).
- Yes, please contact us if you are interested!
- New Jersey